Produce an extraordinary design with foil printing
Specialty print techniques, including foil stamping and embossing, can really take your print project to the next level. The gold foil printing experts at Corcoran Printing can help direct you to the specialty print that will best fit your design goals.
In a world where attention spans are getting shorter, especially within the millennial population, you have just seconds to attract attention to your brand with a printed piece. Once you do capture that attention with something that really jumps out, such as foil printing or embossed printing, you are ensuring that your message will reach your target.
What is Foil Printing?
Hot foil stamping is a process that uses an engraved metal plate (a die) to project a specific design on a piece of paper. The hot die comes in contact with foil and then transfers foil in the shape of the die onto the surface of your paper. The foil affect can be stunning. Foil stamping is also referred to a flat stamping, hot stamping, gold stamping and gold leaf printing. Custom foil print works well on many different paper stocks. It also works well with a range of designs, from intricate to very simple. You are not just limited to gold foil print or metallic effects. There are a range of other looks and finishes.
Types of foils for foil stamping
- Metallic foil – Gold foil stamping and other foils are probably the most commonly used. The metallic foil produces a wonder shimmer that jumps off your paper. Metallic foils come in various shades from traditional gold, silver copper and bronze foils to a vast array of colors.
- Foil finishes – Another popular foil is gloss pigment foil. Gloss pigment foils don’t produce a shiny metallic look, but rather a very glossy finish. It comes in a variety of colors and gives almost a painted look to your printed piece. Matte pigment foils area also available, and come in various colors. Rather than a shiny look, they produce a dull finish during the hot foil stamp process, for an even more distinct look.
- Foil effects – In addition to various colors, foils can come in a variety of effects. This can include imitation leather, wood grains, marble, snakeskin, pearl and various geometric patterns among others.
- Holographic foil – Hologram images creating 3 dimensional looks on foils are also used in the foil print process. They will give an illusion of depth to your piece. The effect created by these holographic foils is extremely unique, almost giving a movement to you paper. Holographic foils can also be used to add security to a particular print project. They are ideal for a printed specialty ticket or a printed VIP pass.
Combining Embossing with Foil Stamp Printing
Embossed printing is also accomplished with dies. Paper is pressed between two heated dies to ingrain the desired image. Embossing will create a raised image on the paper, while debossing will create an indented image. Both embossing and debossing will produce a fantastic, rich feel to your print project. Foil stamping can be combined with embossing for an even more spectacular print effect. This technique adds shine and depth to specialty or wedding invitations, business cards, kit covers, brochures, book covers, gold foil stamps and much more. When embossing does not combine foil print, it is considered blind embossing. Blind embossing can still add a multi-dimensional effect that creates a level of understated sophistication to the look and feel to your printed marketing materials. With foil stamping and embossing, the design possibilities are limitless.
Five ways your foil stamp printer can help
- Provide art preparation and design input as to the type of design that transfers best to a die for foil printing or embossing. The Corcoran Printing team has worked with hundreds of designers to help accomplish the most eye-catching print projects. We would love to help you.
- Assist in selecting the appropriate paper for foil stamp printing. The foil printers at Corcoran Printing can help you select the ideal paper for foil stamping and embossing. You will want to be sure you select the ideal colors to complement your foil selection, as well as the correct texture and paper weight. Both play a key role in the end look of your printed piece.
- Provide an overview of the different types of foils available. The foil printers at Corcoran Printing have assisted thousands of clients in producing the finest foil printed products. These include invitations, brochures, business cards, postcards, booklets, gold foil stickers, diplomas and much more. They are experts at foil printing and can assist you in selecting the ideal foils to achieve your goals. They will be able to show you many samples that will give you an idea of how your completed foil print project could look.
- Should you add embossing? The emboss print specialists Corcoran Printing will be able to honestly advise you as to whether or not emboss would work with your foil stamp design and goals. The print team can direct you as to whether a project should be embossed or debossed. They can provide you with many samples to help you decide. They can also show you various finished printed projects, such as embossed certificates and foiled diplomas, some that incorporate both effects and some that don’t.
- Provide a full array of print and mailing services. At Corcoran Printing, we not only focus on foil stamp printing, but we have been in the commercial print business for more than 75 years. There are not many printers who can say that. And, after 75+ years, are number one focus is still helping our clients with all things print.
Call a foil stamp print expert at Corcoran Printing today at 800.564.0085 or visit us online at corcoranprinting.com.